Thursday, July 1, 2010

Catching the Light

Where The Muse Lives   
oil, 8x10, $150

My latest plein air painting, done of the newly opened Spitzer Art Center in Harrisonburg, VA.  The house is one of those great older homes that feels like it has been loved for a long time.  The Central Shenandoah Arts organization was left this gem by its previous owner, providing it was used as an arts center.  The dream is being realized!  Classes are starting there, by yours truly, and other talented, local artists.

I was especially enjoying this painting because I toned the board in bright, knock-your-eyes-out red!  You can see it peeking through here and there.  I wanted the warmth and energy to come through the other colors, which I think it is doing.  I painted it on my still-relatively-new pochade box, which I am really enjoying.  More on that in other posts.  A pochade box is usually a small box which holds your paints, supports (canvas, board, whatever), and usually attaches to a tripod.  They are usually small so that you can take them anywhere.  I am now able to put everything I need into one backpack, and away I go!  

2 comments:

Stephen Parker said...

Very nice, Elaine. I really like your composition. You all are fortunate to receive such a beautiful place with which to promote the arts. Congratulations on being asked to teach there.

Laurel Daniel said...

What a great legacy - a wonderful use of that well loved house. Your painting of it shows that it is still well loved!! Nice.