Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Larger is different....


A little out of order, but I had my plein air painting class today.  We were back out at "Cobble Hill" in Staunton, VA.  A 179 acre farm in the city limits!  It was over-cast, and rainy a good portion of the day.  But that made for a fine day for me.  I painted, along with another student, under this over-hang.  As you may see, I decided to re-paint the lanterns, only in a larger scale, 32"x40".  I didn't finish it yet, but got a good start on it.

Ron, our instructor, had suggested that I tone the whole canvas, draw in the shapes, then scratch back to the canvas where the lightest point in the lanterns was.  Then I put white gessoe on that to help it sparkle.  So far they look like balloons, but I think I can pull off the glow.  I am just going to wait and work on it next week, and let the painting dry somewhat to help me pick up the brights, and the very darks.  Fun stuff!!

No comments: