Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Getting Closer to the End

"Barn Dance"  -  oil, 32"x40", in progress

Here is "Barn Dance", the painting about the amazing luminous light of the lanterns hanging in the old barn at Cobble Hill, in Staunton, VA.  If you scroll down this page you will see the small oil sketch of what it will be, as well as some photos of the location, and the beginning of this painting.  They still look a lot like balloons, or bubbles just magically hanging in the air.  I am still working on the background, adding more colors, more "layers" of light, even in the darkest places.  I am also working towards making these lanterns really glow and have the amazing luminous quality of light that attracted me to the subject in the first place.  I've been staring at it all this week, and it is talking to me more.  For those of you who aren't artists, I really haven't lost it and need to have a padded room made ready for me...I hope!  Rather the paintings really tell you what they need, if you take the time to look and listen.  The wonderful quote, by I forget who, is "if you ask the right questions, you'll get the right answers."  It took me a while to really understand that quote, but I get it now.  Let me know what you think of this painting in progress.  

No comments: