Friday, August 12, 2011

Headford & Cong, Ireland

At Antjie, Davey & Ciara's house, an African bonfire in Ireland
 One of the gardens
 first lunch, blue flowers in the salad
 The "Quiet Man" cottage, used in the film with John Wayne and Marueen O'Hara


 Cong Art Gallery - same building as the hotel
 Cong Abbey from the 1200's
 Cong cat
Artist John Dinan's painting

I rode the bus into Headford, a small town outside of Galway.  There I was picked up by Antjie Henn, who, along with her husband and daughter, are South Africans living in Ireland.  Antjie is a Parelli practitioner, which is how I found her.  They were so warm and welcoming, inviting me into her home for three nights.  The first full day, they dropped me off in Cong, a really lovely little village,  One of the artists from the festival, in Wexfor, John Dinan lives in Cong, and I was able to see him, his wife, and some other artists.  I didn't paint, but I sketched quite a bit in the abbey, and the middle of Cong.

Cong is known for being the town where the John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara film, "The Quiet Man" was filmed in 1952.  The cottage is there, a pub, and there is a tour and museum to the film.  I was told that at the end of August, there will be a "Quiet Man Festival", complete with Maureen O'Hara at age 91.

2 comments:

Egretta Wells blog said...

"Tis a Pretty Cottage"...to quote Maureen in "The Quiet Man", my all time favorite movie!
Sounds like you are having so much fun!

Elaine Hurst said...

I somehow fell behind in getting comments posted! Now they are all up. Oops! Ireland was a FANTASTIC trip! Met so many wonderful people, and had such fun. Cong was magical, especially with the "soft day" that was going on (drizzle). If you loved "The Quiet Man" movie, then Cong is a must! Happy New Year!