Thursday, April 1, 2010

Five Requirements for Change

"My Father's Knife"  oil, 5x7", $100

       Change.  It is almost like a bad word to a lot of people, but there is no way we can escape it.  I was given  a list of the "Five Requirements for Change", by a wise person one time.  I would like to share them with you.  They pertain to almost anything you want to change.

1.  Unequivocal desire to change.
2.  Change stated in the positive.
3.  Change has to be specific to a context or behavior.
4.  Change has to be self initiated and maintained.
5.  Change has to be future oriented.

       What I am working to change, in my artistic life, is working towards simplicity.  So much harder than it appears.  You would think it would be simple to be able to simplify paintings down to the barest of marks, the barest of statements on the canvas.   Nooooo, not so.  I am continually working to say the most, with the least.  To say the deepest statements with the least brush strokes.  Not an easy task, but one that I will continue to strive towards, in art and life.

No comments: