Sunday, August 1, 2010

Changing It Up a Little

"Shadows of Reflection"  -  pastel, P.O.R.

Several years ago I was painting primarily in pastels.  I loved pastels then, and now.  I love the immediacy of them, like candy for your eyes.  I paint with oil more than pastels now, but still from time to time, I feel a certain subject would do well in pastel.  This is a small, plein air piece done on location at the Spitzer Art Center in Harrisonburg.  I wanted to catch the last evening light hitting the side of the house, along with the reflection of the sky and trees.  I love the whole metaphorical sense of painting reflections and what they say literally as well as figuratively.  Paintings can have so many different levels of meaning as well as the more literal sense of place.  I hope you enjoy this one.  I did!

2 comments:

liz wiltzen said...

Really love the mood in this one Elaine!

Diane Hoeptner said...

Beautiful. The reflected colors say so much, I love this one.