Wednesday, September 8, 2010

HIking on Schoodic

Schoodic Head
8x10 oil on linen panel
#10/#20

I took a hike the other day.  I really wanted to get into the woods, and explore some of the trails here on Schoodic.  I decided to take my backpack and put my pochade box in, just in case I wanted to paint.  I read how far the trail was, but wasn't quite aware how up and down and rooty it would be.  Still, it was a gorgeous day, and so much fun!  The views on top and along the ridges were spectacular.  I stopped and did a 10 minute painting looking off the top.  I am quite please with its simplicity and how it caught the feeling of the moment.  I need to do more quick paintings, and stress the use of simplification.  I know, I've talked about that before, but I have to keep reminding myself of it!  The trail turned out to be about 3 miles total, with lots of climbing up and down steep places.  It was truly a magical trail.

            


1 comment:

Bobbi Heath said...

So nicely abstract and what great colors. Congrats on the artist in residence program, it sounds like you are really enjoying it. What a great way to see natural beauty around the country!