Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Last of Maine for Now

On The Ledges
8x10 oil on linen panel
#17/#27

Our last evening on The Ledges

Unless I have missed one, I think this is all of the paintings from Maine.  What a great experience.  I am corresponding now with one of the other AIRs that was there.  If you're an artist, and can do it, this is a great opportunity.  Many of the parks allow your family to come along, and as long as they are ok with you taking off to paint, it works really well.  Just check it out on the Artist in Residence section of the National Park Service site.

This last painting isn't one of the best, but gave me a feel of what I wanted to paint.  I think too, my mind was already starting to wind down from the Acadia experience and I was starting to detach and head home.  Nice to leave home for a while, and really nice to get back home.

A show at The Art Center in Orange is being set up with three different artists who have painted scenes from Maine.  Tentatively scheduled for June 2011.  Myself and two others are in at this point, all of us with very different styles.  It should a very nice show with something for everyone.

Something else I learned from my trip to Maine was what kinds of supplies I need to paint what I want to paint.  I almost didn't take the small pochade box, but was glad I did.  I wouldn't have had the chance to paint a small oil on my lone hike.  Dragging the French easel up and down hills would have been impossible.  I love painting a little bigger, so the French easel worked when I could either paint right next to my car, or didn't have to go far.  I also have REALLY learned that I need to have ALL the paints I want in both the French easel AND the pochade.  That way I don't get out somewhere and find I don't have what I need.  One last lesson learned, among many, was that you can usually do without most of what you think you need.  If you have the basics, you'll be fine, and probably have an easier time in the long-run.

2 comments:

Victoria Webb said...

Thanks so much for all your posts about the artist residency at Acadia. I'm considering applying and remember the park as so beautiful in the early 1970's (dating myself here).

Could you speak a little to the accommodations? I can't find much on exactly what is offered to each artist.

Thanks too for the tip about the pochade box over the french easel. That will come in handy!
Lovely work.

Elaine Hurst said...

Great! I hope you do apply! It was a wonderful experience. In Acadia, they housed the artists in a row of staff housing. There were three artists there at one time when I was there, which was a lot of fun. Mine was very small, one bedroom, kitchen/dining area together. But fine. Some other people who had more people with them had larger apartments. My husband and one of our daughters came for the second week, so it was tight, but possible. In some parks I understand they have historic cabins, and other kinds of housing. I will add some photos here if I can./Users/elainemhurst/Desktop/IMG_6095.jpg
/Users/elainemhurst/Desktop/IMG_6098.jpg
/Users/elainemhurst/Desktop/IMG_4042.jpg